Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, March 9, 2009

New Experiences...

So, in an effort to "socialize" my girl, I have enrolled her in several play groups through our Parks and Rec department. Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri, she attends a playgroup at our church. There is singing, dancing, crafts, snacks and play time. We started last Monday - which began with a 10 minute meltdown - and it is going great! She knows what room to go to do the next thing. She plays well, although not actually with any of the kids. She does have a tendency to push on them when they get too close or get in her space, but it's not rough. I correct her and she moves on. She does hold hands when the other kids do, but she's just more content to play by herself.

So, this is why I have started her with these classes. She's been cooped up here at home for so long, only really playing with our friend's little girl, and not getting a lot of social interaction. We don't have a lot of tiny kids in our neighborhood. I want her to feel comfortable and start to learn to play with others. It's not that she's standoffish, she just hasn't been around other kids - one of the bummers of being an only child. But, we are breaking down walls and coming out of our shell. I'm hoping that by the time we got to visit friends in Alabama this spring, Sophia will be ready to play with their children and play nicely.

We also started her in a gymnastics class that occurs on Saturday mornings. The first class was this past Saturday...I needed a strong drink when we were through! My girl is fiercely stubborn and independent!!! She did amazingly well on the balance beam and somersaults, but she's not very good at listening and following directions from anyone other than me or her dad. So, another reason to get her around other adults and kids, so she can learn to listen, pay attention, follow directions and not be a pill!!!

Anywho, I ramble. It's been a great couple of weeks since I last posted. There is so much going on - and time is crazy flying by - that I sometimes forget to get on here and update. We have some new pics, but they are not yet downloaded. When I get them done, I will post some. Our girl is just too cute and funny! She is TALKING, TALKING, TALKING and it's crazy how fast the words and phrases are coming. Her enunciation of words is getting so much better and she's really interacting and conversing. She can tell you her name and how old she is. She knows her alphabet and can spell her name - not writing, but saying the letters - and LOVES to sing and dance. We are amazed each and every day!!!

So, keep looking for the new pics...they will be coming shortly!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you are right that only children sometimesneed a little more help with socializing. Working in a daycare center for 14 years I found this to be true.

I finished your wall hanging this weekend. I will e-mail you a picture of it. Please let me know if there is anything you would like different and I will be glad to change it.

I'm still waiting on some beads that I ordered to make the bracelet but will start on it as soon as they come.

Can't wait to see pictures of all your fun activities!

Natalie said...

Your little Sophia sounds like a very busy girl! Sounds like a lot of fun.

I looked at the dress you got! It is also very beautiful. Daleea does a great job!

Jennifer said...

YEAH!! How fun! Sophia is becoming quite a social butterfly! Spring will be here..any day..I hope tomorrow, but I doubt it...Zoo days, walks to the park, and fun times at the pool are all around the corner! (Perhaps a weekend to Chicago?)

Kim said...

Wow, sounds like Sophia is doing great. We are loving the pictures. Keep them coming.

Kim, John, Gabby, & Junie

Danielle Moss said...

Thanks for the sweet comment. :)